With Independence Day just around the corner, COVID restrictions rolling back and anticipated parties, please remember to know the risks of fireworks, only use legal fireworks and stay safe when using. If you see or suspect illegal firework usage, please report it!
The County has teamed up with our cities, fire and law enforcement jurisdictions to educate our community members on how to celebrate safely, how to spot a safe and sane firework and how to report illegal fireworks usage. In addition, many jurisdictions are enforcing stricter penalties this year for illegal fireworks usage.
Calls for service throughout the county increase dramatically on July 4th and emergency response resources are stretched extremely thin. During the holiday weekend, please use 9-1-1 for emergencies only -- like an active fire or injury. Each jurisdiction has provided an alternative method to report illegal fireworks sale and usage.
Together, we can ensure that Independence Day celebrations are fun, safe and do not cause undue injury or fire in our communities.
Know the Risks
- The unsafe use of fireworks can cause severe burns, amputations, blinding and even death.
- Damaging fires occur when children use fireworks unsupervised by adults.
- Parents are responsible for any property damage or injuries caused by all fireworks.
Keep it Legal
- All legal fireworks in California are called Safe and Sane Fireworks and must bear the State Fire Marshal’s seal.
- Safe and Sane Fireworks may only be used and sold from noon June 28 through midnight on July 4.
- Any firework that goes up in the air or explodes is illegal and dangerous.
Keep It Safe
- Always have a bucket of water to dispose of fireworks and leave in the water overnight before disposing.
- Always have a hose connected to water available in case of fire.
- Do not use fireworks near dry grass or other flammable materials.
- Do not use fireworks while under a canopy, covered balcony, covered patio or under a tree or bushes.
How to report illegal sale and usage
Aren’t sure who or how to report? Call 3-1-1 to be connected to the right place!
Want to help us spread the word? Consider sharing these graphics:
- Fireworks Safety Flyer
- Social Media Graphics:
- Know the Risks
- Keep It Safe
- Keep It Legal
- How to Report