The California Department of Finance has released their January 1, 2022 Estimates.
The CA DoF is estimating a drop in population for Sacramento County since the 2020 Census, from 1,585,055 down to 1,576,618.
The cities of Elk Grove, Folsom, and Rancho Cordova are all estimated to have gained population.
But the cities of Sacramento, Citrus Heights, Galt, Isleton, and the unincorporated area have all decreased in population. See table below for specifics.
|||Census||CA DoF Estimates ||Change since Census |
|||Apr 1, 2020||Jan 1, 2021||Jan 1, 2022||Percent||Numeric|
|Sacramento County|| 1,585,055||1,580,624||1,576,618||-0.53%||-8,437|
|Elk Grove|| 176,124||176,769||176,972||0.48%||848|
|Citrus Heights|| 87,583||87,245||86,367||-1.39%||-1,216|
|Rancho Cordova|| 79,332||79,536||80,359||1.29%||1,027|
|Unincorporated Area|| 610,442||609,504||604,272||-1.01%||-6,170|
Included in Sacramento County are seven incorporated cities. Varying from quaint to cosmopolitan, each of these cities contributes a rich and unique dimension to the whole of Sacramento County and its communities. Our growing economy and educated workforce are part of one of the most livable and diverse regions in America and is the core cultural and economic center in the region. The 2010 U.S. Census Bureau estimated Sacramento County’s total population as more than 1.4 million. With more than a half million residents living in unincorporated Sacramento County, it makes our unincorporated county population the fifth largest in the state. Read more on California's Total State Population.
Greater Sacramento has been cited as one of the five "most livable" regions in America in 2004, and the city was cited by TIME magazine as America's Most Diverse City in 2002. Clean Edge ranked the Sacramento region number six in the nation for clean technology.
The greater Sacramento Area, including Arden-Arcade and Roseville, was also ranked number seven in the 2013 American Fitness Index.
Sacramento County’s Sacramento International Airport (SMF) has also received recognition. According to Airports Council International, SMF was ranked number four for best customer service in 2012.
- 30 parks with 6 million trees and 4 public golf courses
- Sacramento River - longest river within California, flowing south for 447 miles
- American River - in 1848, gold was found, which lead to the Gold Rush
- Leading agricultural crops - wine grapes, milk, poultry, pears, nursery stock
- The area of the County is 944 square miles
- Average temperature
- maximum : 73.6 F
- minimum : 49 F
- Average rainfall : 19.6 inches
- 19 major public & private colleges & universities
- California State University, Sacramento - major local university and one of the 23 campuses in the California State University system
- University of California, Davis is located nearby (west of the capital) and one of the 10 campuses in the University of California system
- 16 public school districts
- 15 major art and historical museums
- 26 public libraries
- 10 hospitals
- 1,458 persons per square-mile
- 69.6 percent of eligible voters are registered to vote