Sacramento County Public Health reports that a resident in their 90s, in an assisted living facility with an underlying health condition, has died of complications of COVID-19.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of this individual,” said Sacramento County Department of Health Services Director, Dr. Peter Beilenson. “We will all work to protect our most vulnerable residents from exposure to communicable diseases.
“When a nursing home facility has an outbreak, regardless if it is flu, norovirus or COVID-19, Sacramento County Public Health immediately begins the investigation process to follow the communicable disease exposure of others, and will monitor or isolate those individuals until they are no longer contagious,” said Dr. Beilenson.
“Additionally, these facilities follow a flu outbreak plan, such as, limiting visitor access, freezing new admissions to the facility, closing common areas and enhanced cleaning measures.”
To protect those most vulnerable from exposure to COVID-19 it is critical to adhere to these recommendations:
- Urge those age 60 and older and anyone with an underlying medical condition to stay away from large gatherings.
- If you have any cold-like symptoms, do not have any contact, or at least maintain a six feet distance, with anyone in the high risk category (60 and older and/or those with medical conditions).
- Wash your hands often and be sure to practice good hand washing techniques.
- Do not touch your face unless you have washed your hands.
- If someone in the high risk category, develops any difficulty breathing, or was feeling better but then feel a lot worse, they should call their health care provider or urgent care so they can prepare to take care of them. People should only call 911 if they feel they are in imminent danger.
- Stay home to reduce the exposure to others for at least 72 hours after symptoms resolve or a total of 7 days – whichever is longer.
For health confidentiality, in compliance with HIPAA, Sacramento County Public Health does not release location information of individuals.