The Sacramento County Environmental Management Department
(EMD) inspectors are making sure the operators of the 175 food stands at the California State Fair from July 13-29 are preparing those corn dogs, funnel cakes and snow cones using safe food practices.
MEDIA OPPORTUNITY: County health inspectors will be onsite at Cal Expo to conduct opening day food booth inspections.
- When: Friday, July 13, 2018 – between 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd, Sacramento - Please check in at Media Center
- Contact: Zarha Ruiz, 916-591-2057
“At the California State Fair, these food vendors will be inspected for the same safe food handling practices as all our restaurants in our County to ensure food safety health codes are followed,” said Jason Boetzer, Environmental Health Division Chief.
Health inspectors will be working throughout the duration of the fair doing unannounced inspections, investigating food-related complaints, and providing education to vendors. Some of the things inspectors will be looking for are:
- Preparation of fresh food every day. No cooling of food for next day use is allowed.
- Food temperature: Keeping hot food hot and cold food cold.
- Approved source of food.
- Proper hand washing procedures.
- Ensuring safe water supplies and proper sewage disposal.